Product Version: 6.7.x+, 6.8.4 GA
Expires on: 365 days from publish date.
Updated: Sept 30, 2021
In certain secure environments it is necessary to configure the ProfileUnity client elevation process to use SHA2 (256) instead of the default Signature based method in order for the Client to work correctly.
ProfileUnity is not running after upgrade or installation.
Option A) Upgrade ProfileUnity Client Tools to 6.8.4 R2 (Request Link from Support)
Option B) Upgrade ProfileUnity Client Tools to 6.8.5 (Downloadable form Liquidware Downloads)
Option C) Change certificate from Signed to SHA2 (256) Steps below:
You will need the sha2 hash for the client.exe and LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.exe & vhd.exe (and lwl_profile_mgr.exe if using ProfileDisk) from the netlogon from the version of client tools your are running.
- Navigate to the ProfileUnity netlogon directory or share and copy the client.exe file to your Desktop.
- While in the ProfileUnity netlogon directory find open the elevation.zip file that you copied up from attachement in KB.
- Extract the lwl_elevation_service.xml file from elevation.zip file to your Desktop. (If ProfileUnity is already installed on Parent image or endpoint, modify the default c:\Program Files\ProfileUnity\Elevation\lwl_elevation_service as well.)
- Using a checksum utility of your choice, or the following PowerShell script (change the folder path to match with your environment), to generate and save the SHA2 hash for:
- C:\Program Files\ProfileUnity\client.exe
- C:\Program Files\ProfileUnity\Client.Net\LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.exe
- C:\Program Files\ProfileUnity\FlexApp\vhd.exe
- C:\Program Files\ProfileUnity\FlexApp\lwl_profile_mgr.exe (if using ProfileDisks).
Get-ChildItem -Path "C:\Program Files\ProfileUnity" -Recurse -Filter *.exe | Get-FileHash -Algorithm SHA256 | Format-Table -AutoSize
- Edit the lwl_elevation_service.xml and locate the section called <whitelist>
- Insert both of the SHA2 hashes generated in Step 6 directly beneath <white>, so that your xml now looks similar to this example below:
- Save and exit out the lwl_elevation_service.xml.
- Open the elevation.zip file from the ProfileUnity netlogon directory and replace the lwl_elevation_service.xml with the one you have modified.
- Replace the vhd.exe (attached) and place it in flexapp.zip on network and on base image C:\Program Files\ProfileUnity\FlexApp folder.
- The elevation folder contents will be updated on the clients when the LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe is ran either via GPO (recompose) or the parent is updated.
- For more information on prepping your gold image see ProfileUnity in Gold Image & Upgrading Client Tools