Product Version: 6.5+
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: July 11, 2018
What are the best practices to create DIA applications with the FlexApp Packaging Console?
Step 1) The FlexApp Packaging Console should be installed on a vanilla Windows system which:
- Does not have 3rd party applications installed (aside from VM tools)
- Is a VM which can revert snapshots
- Does not have Anti-Virus software installed
- Does have all windows updates installed (same as Gold/Master Image)
- System OS and bit level should match VM's in the vMware View/Citrix server pool where DIA will be deployed.
- The system should not be member of a domain now or previously
Note: FlexApp cannot capture .msu installations (Microsoft Update Standalone Packages).
Step 2a) The Windows 7 image used should be optimized.
Step 2b) The windows 10 image used should be prepared by:
- Uninstall vMware View Agent (If left on VM it creates issues for Office Activation scripts)
- Disabling the Windows Update service
- Disabling Windows Defender
- Disabling Windows System Restore and restore points on all hard drives.
- Disabling the Volume Shadow Copy service.
- Disabling Windows Search service.
- Disabling Superfetch service
- Not adding the console VM to the domain.
- .net 4.5.6 or 4.6.1 or later - Required for vmdk DIA packages
- Installing any required prerequisite software packages that are also installed on the gold image/master image, such as the following:
- Example Laser Jet 4 (RightFax)
- Any other Microsoft .NET version other than the ones listed above
- C++ Runtimes
- Printer Drivers
Step 3) Packaging apps on Windows 10 and Windows 7 with FlexApp requires all C++ runtimes in the base OS of FPC and on the target (Win 10) desktop:
Note: Windows 64-bit must install both x86 and x64 C++ runtimes
- 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638
- 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18471
- 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582
- 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2092
- 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328
- 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523
- 2015 Update 3 Redistributable Package (x86 & x64) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2013 Packages. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
- Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
- Microsoft® SQL Server® Data-Tier Application Framework (June 30 2016) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53013
To install ALL packages (recommended) on FPC and Base image follow instructions in this article on github:
Step 4) Install the FlexApp Packaging Console software.
Step 5) 4 Log in to the FlexApp Packaging Console, pointing it to the ProfileUnity web console:
Step 6) Close the FAPC software, shut the VM down, and take a snapshot.
The console is ready to create DIA packages.
Note: After capturing every DIA package, revert to the initial snapshot. This will ensure that any testing is done with a clean system and that further packages will not be 'polluted' with leftover settings and software from previous packages.