Product Version: 6.5+
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: July 19, 2018
What are the best practices to create DIA applications with the FlexApp Packaging Console?
Some of the processes found in this KB are also part of this simple training video:
Step 1) The FlexApp Packaging Console should be installed on a vanilla Windows system which:
- Does not have 3rd party applications installed (aside from VM tools)
- Should not have ProfileUnity client installed
- Should not have ProfileUnity Management Console installed
- Is a VM which can revert snapshots
- Does not have Anti-Virus software installed
- Does have all windows updates installed matching Gold/Master Image of the desktop pool (Step 3)
- System OS and bit level should match VM's in the vMware View/Citrix server pool where DIA will be deployed. (Step 3)
- The system should not be member of a domain now or previously (avoids alternation of machine by GPO)
Note: FlexApp cannot capture .msu installations (Microsoft Update Standalone Packages).
Step 2) Windows 10 and Windows 7 with FlexApp requires all C++ run-times in the base OS of FPC and on the target base image:
Note: Windows 64-bit must install both x86 and x64 C++ run-times
a) Windows script to install all prerequisites on FPC and Gold image:
b) Manual (limited packages listed here) process use those links:
- 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638
- 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18471
- 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582
- 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2092
- 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328
- 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) i. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523
- 2015 Update 3 Redistributable Package (x86 & x64) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2013 Packages. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
- Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
- Microsoft® SQL Server® Data-Tier Application Framework (June 30 2016) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53013
- .net 4.5.6 or 4.6.1 or later
- Example Laser Jet 4 (RightFax)
- Any other Microsoft .NET version other than the ones listed above
- C++ Runtimes
- Printer Drivers
Step 3) Optimization of FPC image
a) Windows image recommended optimization scripts:
- Use this script as an option to optimize your Windows 7 FPC.
- Use this script as an option to optimize your Windows 10 FPC (not compatible with windows server 2012 R2 and 2016).
b) The manual optimization process (which is more limited to what the above scripts do) should include:
- Uninstall vMware View Agent (If left on VM it creates issues for Office Activation scripts)
- Disabling the Windows Update service
- Disabling Windows Defender
- Disabling Windows System Restore and restore points on all hard drives.
- Disabling the Volume Shadow Copy service.
- Disabling Windows Search service.
- Disabling Superfetch service
- Not adding the console VM to the domain.
Step 4) Install the FlexApp Packaging Console software.
Step 5) 4 Log in to the FlexApp Packaging Console, pointing it to the ProfileUnity web console:
Step 6) Close the FAPC software, shut the VM down, and take a snapshot.
The console is ready to create DIA packages.
Note: When FPC is out of domain when authenticating to the UNC share with windows explorer, where packages are created, select. "remember my credentials" so the FPC console would have uninterrupted access to the UNC path.
Note: After capturing every DIA package, revert to the initial snapshot. This will ensure that any testing is done with a clean system and that further packages will not be 'polluted' with leftover settings and software from previous packages. In AWS the machine must be refreshed back to the master image.