Product Version: 6.8.x+
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: November 11, 2019
When users log in printers are recreated but default printer is not being retained at each login
User has to manually set his/hers default printer. This likely has to do with Vmware TPAutoconnect or Printer Redirection.
The user is connecting through vMware View client from PC or from Thin Client
Verify that you are on latest version of ProfileUnity
Use Correct portability Rules in your ProfileUnity configuration:
- Printers, (PU 5.7)
- User Default Printer, User Printers & Printer Settings ( PU 6.0)
- Portability rule (User Default Printer) Must be last in order of operation in "Portability Settings" module.
Option A - Disable "TP AutoConnect Service" - This option will stop any Client printers from showing up on VDI desktop.
Option A-1. Base Image:
In the base (master) image stop and disable "TP AutoConnect Service" service, then shutdown, take new snapshot and recompose pool
Option A-2. Using GPO
Use the view client adm template (vdm_client.adm) by adding to existing ProfileUnity GPO.
Then under user configuration>administrative templates>Vmware View Client Configuration/RDP settings. "Disable redirect printers"
Option B. For RDC connections to RDSH server it is important to disable printer redirection (From Client Desktop).
Option B -1 On the client:
Option B - 2. On the RDSH server:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services
RegDWORD fDisableCpm 1
Run a command:
REG.exe ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services" /V fDisableCpm /t REG_DWORD /D 1 /F
Option B - 3. Using GPO option:
Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> Windows Components –> Remote Desktop Services –> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Printer Redirection > Do not allow client printer redirection
Option B - 4. Using Power Shell:
Its possible to disable Printer Redirection individually on each RDS Collection. To get status of your current collection configuration type:
Get-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration -CollectionName "Name_Here" -Client -ConnectionBroker "server.domain.local"
The correct setting should be ClientPrinterRedirected = 0 and ClientPrinterAsDefault = 0
To change and disable Client Printer Redirected and Set as Default run to commands for each Collection Name:
Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration -CollectionName "Name_Here" -ClientPrinterAsDefault $False -ConnectionBroker "server.domain.local"
Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration -CollectionName "Name_Here" -ClientPrinterRedirected $False -ConnectionBroker "server.domain.local"
Option C. - Disable default printer redirection in View Clients - This option will stop default setting (From Client Machine) showing up on VDI desktop.
Note: All printers will come through from desktop and install.
Disable default printer redirection in View Clients (usually physical machines or thin clients):
- Log into the machine from where the View Client is launched. (ie..local machine not VDI)
- Click Start > Run and enter regedit to open the registry editor.
- On 32-bit systems: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ThinPrint\Client
- On 64-bit systems: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ThinPrint\Client
- Edit the value of DefaultState to change the value to 0. (REG_DWORD )
- A value of 1 sets the default printer in the View desktop to the default printer on the computer running the View Client.
- A value of 0 disables this redirection.
Note: This KB article from vMware provides steps for disabling ThinPrint default printer redirection in View Clients: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2012770
Note: Disabling all of settings mentioned in options A and B, will stop interfering with ProfieUnity and setting correctly default printer.
Then printer can be set by:
Set Default by ProfileUnity configuration:
This Option will use ProfileUnity Console (Administrator configured) setting to set default printer on user's desktop.
Go to ProfileUnity Console>Printers>Edit printer rule and set appropriate printer as default
Or by a user:
Go to "Portability Settings" module in ProfileUnity Console:
- Portability rule (User Default Printer) must be last in order of operation
- Portability rule (User Default Printer) must be selected to process "Post Logon"