Product Version: 5.7.298+
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: December 13, 2017
When users log in printers are recreated but default printer is not being retained at each login
User has to manually set his/hers default printer. This likely has to do with Vmware TPAutoconnect service.
The user is connecting through vMware View client from PC or from Thin Client
Verify that you are on latest version of ProfileUnity
Use Correct portability Rules in your ProfileUnity configuration:
- Printers, (PU 5.7)
- User Default Printer, User Printers & Printer Settings ( PU 6.0)
- Portability rule (User Default Printer) Must be last in order of operation in "Portability Settings" module.
Option A-1. - Disable "TP AutoConnect Service" - This option will stop any Client printers from showing up on VDI desktop.
Opton A-1) Base Image:
In the base (master) image stop and disable "TP AutoConnect Service" service, then shutdown, take new snapshot and recompose pool
Option A-2. Using GPO
Use the view client adm template (vdm_client.adm) by adding to existing ProfileUnity GPO.
Then under user configuration>administrative templates>Vmware View Client Configuration/RDP settings. "Disable redirect printers"
Option B. - Disable default printer redirection in View Clients - This option will stop default setting (From Client Machine) showing up on VDI desktop.
Note: All printers will come through from desktop and install.
Disable default printer redirection in View Clients (usually physical machines or thin clients):
- Log into the machine from where the View Client is launched. (ie..local machine not VDI)
- Click Start > Run and enter regedit to open the registry editor.
- On 32-bit systems: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ThinPrint\Client
- On 64-bit systems: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ThinPrint\Client
- Edit the value of DefaultState to change the value to 0. (REG_DWORD )
- A value of 1 sets the default printer in the View desktop to the default printer on the computer running the View Client.
- A value of 0 disables this redirection.
This KB article from vMware provides steps for disabling ThinPrint default printer redirection in View Clients:
Option C. - Set Default by ProfileUnity configuration - This Option will use ProfileUnity Console (Administrator configured) setting to set default printer on user's desktop.
Go to ProfileUnity Console>Printers>Edit printer rule and set appropriate printer as default
Go to "Portability Settings" module in ProfileUnity Console:
A) Portability rule (User Default Printer) must be last in order of operation
B) Portability rule (User Default Printer) must be selected to process "Post Logon"