Product Version: 6.5.x
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: September 16, 2016
I would like to upgrade ProfileUnity within my VDI environment, avoiding any scheduled downtime.
Before proceeding, back up / snapshot the ProfileUnity server and back up the ProfileUnity share (usually \\domain\NETLOGON\ProfileUnity).
Step 1. Upgrade the software on ProfileUnity server. (where ProfileUnity console is installed)
- A) ProfileUnity Console with internet connection (Online Mode):
- From the ProfileUnity Management Console, hover over your username in the top right corner of the console, then click About.
- On the About screen, the version number you are currently running is displayed. If an update is available, there will be a special message box with the version number of the update.
- Click the Update button to install the latest version of the software.
- B) Direct Installer Upgrade: If the Update button is not available, download the executable using the link in the console and run it on the ProfileUnity console server, installing atop the existing version.
Step 2. Update the ProfileUnity Client on the ProfileUnity network share (usually \\domain\NETLOGON\ProfileUnity)
- From the ProfileUnity Management Console, hover over your username in the top right corner of the console, and click on Administration.
- On the Settings page, scroll down to the ProfileUnity Tools section and click on Download Client Tools.
- Delete all files in \\domain.com\netlogon\ProfileUnity with exception of ProfileUnity.lic and any .ini files
- Extract the ClientTools.zip to \\domain.com\netlogon\ProfileUnity on your domain controller
Step 3a. Update ProfileUnity Client on Desktops.
Verify that the ProfileUnity GPO is pointed to "LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe" in computer startup script section (not startup.vbs)
While the desktops are refreshed/restarted new client is deployed/updated each time desktop is restarted implementing ProfileUnity GPO thus executing "LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe"
Note: This may last over several days. For quicker deployment reset all desktops which are not used and if your setting is set to "reset/recompose after each logon" by next day all VDI desktops should have the new client installed/updated.
Step 3b. Update ProfileUnity Client on Desktops through Gold Image/Master Image.
If you need to update your client on "Master/Gold image" open the image
1. Log in as local or domain admin.
2. Open command prompt as administrator (ideally domain admin).
3. Run lwl.profileunity.client.startup.exe /uninstall.
4. Watch for errors in red, if none, proceed to run lwl.profileunity.client.startup.exe to install.
5. Perform any pre-snapshot tasks such as ipconfig /release, then shut down, snapshot, and recompose.
Note: For the new features in 6.5 to work properly, the desktops need .Net 4.5.2 or newer installed on the base image.
Note: The .Net 4.5.2 installer is located in netlogon\profileunity directory. (NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe)
Step 4. Verify ProfileUnity Client is updated on ALL Desktops.
After all desktops are recomposed and restarted all client machines should have the new version of the client. To verify, right-click on the client.exe file and click Properties, then Details. Make sure the file versions match.
Note: If the versions do not match, there may be a problem with Group Policy or something else preventing LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe from executing. Stop here before you download and deploy configuration (.ini). (For errors running LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe, look in the C:\Windows\Temp\ProfileUnity - startup.log)
Important Note: If you were using ProfileUnity 5.0 or earlier, update the client AND the configuration .ini at the same time. There are problems with running an .ini file from 5.5.1818 and earlier with newer clients.
Step 5. Update Configuration (.ini)
After you are certain that all clients computer/VDI machines and master images (if available) are updated, download and update your Default.ini
- Go to the Configuration Management area and for each configuration in the list:
- Click on Download Configuration.
- Save this INI file to the same location where the ProfileUnity Client is installed.
Step 6. Update your FlexApp Packaging console. (Optional)
- In ProfileUnity Administration page download FlexApp Packaging console
- Revert to clean snapshot without any 3rd party software. (With exception of FPC)
- Run install on the system which has old version of FPC
- For ProfileUnity 6.5 Please also make sure that .net 4.5.2 is installed on FPC as well
- Take snapshot after upgrade.
Note: Because Client.exe is backwards (up to version 5.5.1818) compatible with the versions of Configuration.ini it should be updated first. On contrary Configuraion.ini is not. when Configuration.ini is updated before the Client.exe it may cause unknown behavior.
Note: For ProfileDisk deployment pool refresh is necessary, this would most likely require scheduled down time.