Product Version: 5.5+
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: June 20, 2013
Installation of Profile Unity onto a base image (gold image)
In certain IT environments it is necessary (or recommended) to install Profile Unity on a base image instead of installing it over the network.
NOTE: If you already have PU in the base image and you only have to reinstall it please make sure to uninstall ProfileUnity before installing it. You can uninstall ProfileUnity by running uninstall.vbs which usually is located in the ProfileUnity Netlogon folder.
1. Power on the Gold Master VDI image and allow to boot to login.
2. Login to the Gold Master as an administrative user
3. Run (elevated -right click Run as Admin) LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe (or startup.vbs - XP and 2003 servers) script manually (usually located in Active Directory Netlogon share ie. \\server\netlogon) to install the Profile Unity agent on the machine.
4. Using Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files\ProfileUnity directory to ensure the client has been installed.
5. Open an elevated command prompt and release the DHCP IP address of the machine (ipconfig /release)
6. Shutdown the machine, and take a new snapshot. Re-compose your VDI pool using the newly created snapshot.
You are done!
Note: When ProfileUnity is on the base image its ok to remove startup.vbs from ProfileUnity's GPO.
If there are issues check following to verify that ProfileUnity was installed correctly:
- Start on an already provisioned machine so that you can include all values in the registry as provisioned.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
- Make sure the registry is set correctly (you may have to modify the userinit value to make it correct, the ProfileUnity userinit.exe should be listed once, and the C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe should not be listed, but there may be other entries from other software packages in your environment).
1. Please open regedit and navigate to:
2. Click on Userinit
The key should look similar to the following
There might be other entries for that key, but C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe should not be included. In this case, other entry is "C:\ProgramFiles\VMware\VMware View\Agent\bin\wssm.exe", but this is only one of the examples.
Your base image is now ready for deployment.
Note: This solution only works if you are using with Quickprep not Sysprep in vMware View environment.
Note: When a new version of ProU is released you will need to repeat this process on the base image in order to use the newer version.