Product Version: 5.6
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: Oct 11, 2013
Profile Unity may not execute if the GPO points to startup files stored on a NetApp CIFs share.
1. The computers receive a correct GPO; however, they fail to run startup.vbs (no profile Unity setting are being applied).
To confirm that startup.vbs did NOT run check for "ProfileUnity" Folder in: C:\Program Files"
2. In system logs you might also notice Computer account access to CIFS Share (System error 1808 has occurred)
It is important NOT to use aliases for the share, but instead it is advised to use the object alias (tested on NetApp).
Check and make sure the NIC on the windows machines is first in the binding order.
- Open up your "Network and Sharing Center."
- Click "Change Adapter Settings" in right-hand pane.
- Note: This should bring you to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections.
- You can also get there by running "ncpa.cpl".
Disable the Unix Extensions on the device itself.
Add the following lines to the smb.conf file, under the GLOBAL section:
ufollow symlinks = yes
wide symlinks = yes
unix extensions = no
Note: The smb.conf file location varies by device and should be backed up before editing. Also, after the changes have been saved, the samba service needs to be cycled for the changes to take effect.
Note: Please use caution as this is global change and may have negative effect on your environment.
For the path to the files please try server name and DFS name space name, and or IP.