Product Version: 6.5
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: Oct 7, 2015
I would like to setup "ProfileDisk" VHD for my users
The VHD ProfileDisk will store entire user profile
Pre installation checklist:
- VM client machine is NOT a XP/2003, 2008 non-R2 machine
- .Net 4.5.2 is installed on the base image
- Note: .net 4.5.2 is included in "client-tools.zip" when extracted. Its also located in ..netlogon\Profileunity\NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe
- GPO is configured to use "LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe" and NOT "startup.vbs"
There are two ways to setup VHD ProfileDisk Guided and Manual ProfileDisk Configuration:
Guided VHD ProfileDisk Configuration:
4) Select Template Library: VHD ProfileDisk for Windows 7,8, 10
5) Fill in Home share path: \\server.domain.com\share\%username%
6) VHD ProfileDisk Deployment window:
(Those values will be inserted into "nodes.xml" not default.ini)
- Active Directory Groups: If the user who logged in to ProfileUnity console is a domain user it should populate this field after typing minimum of 3 characters.
- Storage Type: Microsoft VHD Image
- Virtual Disk Path: Path to the VHD.
- Example: \\Server\Share\%usrename%\VHD-ProfileDisk\%username%-ProfileDisk.vhd
- Note: This "Virtual Disk Path" path does not need any special permissions just default user share permissions.
- Size in GB: If Expandable it has ability to grow to that size. It can't be expended more in the future, it would require modifying this value here and deleting the old disk to recreate a new disk with increased max size.
- Compression: If Incremental or Differential backup is in place, it will take more backup space if compression is enabled.
- Disk Type: Expandable (If NetApp Device than "Fixed" might be better option)
7) Next window is Automated Integration.
Note: Automated Integration can be omitted if there is ProfileUnity GPO and ProfileUnity Security Group configured.
8) Select Finish: This will deploy configuration to your Deployment path.
9) Important step: Please reinstall the ProfileUnity client!! (Run LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe with the correct nodes.xml present in the same directory) on the master image of your pools before recomposing your pools. The above (FlexDisk) setting need to be implemented early before the logn; therefore, they require a recompose of the VMs.
Manual VHD ProfileDisk Configuration:
This is usually used if there is current ProfileUnity enviroment and user would just like to add Profile Disk to the current setup. These steps assume that you have default.ini configuration in netlogon\profileunity directory.
Step 1) Go to "Administration" Section of your ProfileUnity Console:
Step 2) Go to "ProfileDisk" Section of the configuration
Step 3) Fill out VHD ProfileDisk details:
- Set size of the VHD.
Note: Once the VHD is created this size can not be changed without first deleting the VHD and starting over from beginning or using 3rd party tool to extend the VHD.
- Enable Compression
- Disk Type: Fixed (Thick) or Expandable (Thin)
Step 4) Deploy or Download Configuration
Step 5) Save nodes.xml to:\\domain.com\netlogon\ProfileUnity
Step 6) Important step: Please reinstall the ProfileUnity client!! (Run LwL.ProfileUnity.Client.Startup.exe with the correct nodes.xml present in the same directory) on the master image of your pools before recomposing your pools. The above (FlexDisk) setting need to be implemented early before the logn; therefore, they require a recompose of the VMs.