Product Version: 6.7 & above
Expires on: 365 days from publish date
Updated: Jan 19, 2018
How do I move settings in my ProfileDisk on Windows 10 (ver-1607), to a later version like 1703,1709.
Customers currently using an existing ProfileDisk, where created and initially used on Windows 10 (ver-1607) for use on a later versions of Windows (1703 or above) is not supported. If your ProfileDisk was created initially for use in Windows 1703 you will not need to migrate to a new ProfileDisk.
Customers do have an option to continue using ProfileDisk on later versions of Windows and to continue having the best user experience possible. The following process outlines how to get current settings/data from existing ProfileDisk (1607) out and for use with a new ProfileDisk created for Windows 1703 or above.
ProfileUnity version 6.5.10 or below and ProfileDisk on current Windows 1607
In earlier versions of ProfileUnity using the guided template wizard for "VHD ProfileDisk Windows 7,8,10" did not use existing portability rules as a secondary or backup option.
In order to migrate to a later version of Windows you could use the following steps.
1. If existing template being used for ProfileDisk does not have current portability you will need to create new portability rules to extract data out of session for use in a new ProfileDisk.
2. Create a new guided template from within ProfileUnity that includes portability, for example
3. You can go into new config>portability and select all and export the json.
4. In current config being used for ProfileDisk open portability section and import json from previous export.
5. Update and then place ini in Netlogon or share where current ini exists.
6. Clients will need to log in and out a few times to make sure portability settings are saved on the network for all users.
7. Once satisfied all users have portability archives you can begin process of migrating/testing on later version of Windows.
8. Before user tests new version of Windows you will need to delete the current ProfileDisk (VHD or VMDK) and at new login to Windows 10 (1703>) when the new ProfileDisk creates at login, portability should bring back most of the previous user experience. This can also be tested and validated in a test/parallel ENV (See https://liquidwarelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210632923-How-to-create-separate-test-ProfileUnity-environment-running-parallel-to-production-environment-).
ProfileUnity version 6.7.0 and ProfileDisk on current Windows 1607
1. If your initial version of ProfileUnity installed was Pre-6.7 and upgraded to 6.7.0 and using existing template for "VHD ProfileDisk Windows 7,8,10". Follow steps 1-8 as outlined above.
2. If your version of ProfileUnity installed was 6.7.0 make sure your using the guided template.
This template includes current usable portability to extract the settings you need for use with the new ProfileDisk on Windows 1703 or above.
3. Make sure portability files for your users exist in the network path specified in config.
4. Once satisfied all users have portability archives you can begin process of migrating/testing on later version of Windows.
5. Before user tests new version of Windows you will need to delete the current ProfileDisk (VHD or VMDK) and at new login to Windows 10 (1703>) when the new ProfileDisk creates at login, portability should bring back most of the previous user experience. This can also be tested and validated in a test/parallel ENV (See https://liquidwarelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210632923-How-to-create-separate-test-ProfileUnity-environment-running-parallel-to-production-environment-).